Customer Service is very important to me and I think it is critical for every company regardless of size, location, or industry. However, I as a customer, I try to keep it in perspective that there is a person behind my service. It’s not simply the customer service of a company (consistency in hiring is key to consistency for company customer service, but that’s for another chat) it is being provided by a person. It also doesn’t matter where/how you receive this service…in person, on twitter, facebook, the phone, the mail…it still comes from a person (after you get through the automated system, another day for that one as well). Social media is one of my favorite tools for customer service, but a person uses the tool to provide the service.
With that being said, people have lives to live and for many companies it is not feasible, sensible or necessary to have around the clock customer service. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but it has prompted me to question myself as a consumer: What is it NECESSARY for customers? What expectations are we creating? Are they reasonable? Can we minimize this gap by being proactive?
In light of those questions, the January 18th Social Media Chat will focus on the questions below:
- What are your customer service expectations as a customer?
- What are customer service needs are required by your business (as a provider)?
- How does your organization set expectations for your customers? (How, when, where they can expect to receive service.)
- How does your organization use social media channels to provide that service?
- Have you established clear communication to your customers about what service they can expect via the channels you use? How so?
I hope to see you on the chat at 1pm ET and I hope by the end of the chat, each person can answer the additional questions for themselves:
Does the customer service your organization provides, line up with your customers expectations? Are you able to meet the demands of your customers? Are your customers demands reasonable? Is the service your providing sustainable for your organization?
The topic of today’s chat was inspired by many of my peers who chat about customer service with Marsha Collier, Jeffrey J. Kingman and Roy Adtkinson every Tuesday night at 9pm ET on the #CustServ chat.