Father’s Day was this past weekend, so let me take a minute to wish all of the #SMChat dads a very happy Father’s Day! When I looked at the social media posts, especially Facebook, so many friends wrote beautiful odes to their fathers. I started thinking about how my own father influenced my life, which gave me an idea for the #SMChat topic for June 19, 2013: Social Media Influencers: Who’s Your Daddy? (As you can see from the photo on the left, my daddy is not always the most calming influence on my kids, but they definitely have a good time together!)
According to Wikipedia:
Influencer marketing is a form of marketing in which focus is placed on specific key individuals (or types of individual) rather than the target market as a whole. It identifies the individuals that have influence over potential buyers, and orients marketing activities around these influencers.
- Who is the most influential to your brand and why? ReadWrite says that there’s a disconnect between brands and their influencers that make social media campaigns inefficient.
- According to the Technorati Media 2013 Digital Influence Report: only 11% of corporate social media budgets are devoted to advertising on blogs and influencer sites, but 86% of the influencers these corporate brands are trying to reach are using blogs as their primary publishing platform. Where do your influencers congregate online and how do you find them?
- What’s the difference between a social media influencer and a brand advocate? (HINT: See this great infographic by Jay Baer to keep you from confusing audience with influence.)
- What is a micro-influencer and does your brand need them? Think about making your influential followers feel special and move them along the path from influencer to advocate.
- How do you influence the influencers? Free trial offers and other incentives aren’t allowed by many companies in order to better comply with the new FTC guidelines requiring disclosure for bloggers and brands, especially in regulated industries like insurance and banking, so how do you convince industry influencers to become brand advocates?
Got tips on identifying and working with social media influencers? Please share them below and join us using the hashtag #SMchat for the SMChat Twitter chat on Wednesday at 1P ET.