The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge – have you done it? By now, sports figures, business leaders, celebrities and nearly everyone I know has donated, done the challenge, been called out for it and/or un-tagged themselves from being called out for it! One of my favorite videos (by DJ Waldow, of the Living Your Passion podcast) was only up for a limited time, but you still have time to check out this creative ALS donation video by Chris Penn from Shift Communications.
In case you don’t know how it started, here are a few background links:
Not only has the Ice Bucket Challenge become a viral sensation due to social media and word-of-mouth, but it has raised millions (more than $15 million based on the last reports I’ve seen) to fight amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
It’s been called a “gimmick” and a fundraising phenomenon, but let’s talk about how other non-profits, not-for-profits and even for-profit companies can benefit by similar tactics during the #SMChat Twitter chat. Here are some questions on the topic that I’ll be asking during Wednesday’s #SMChat:
- What’s the best ALS #IceBucketChallenge video you’ve seen? Most creative/funniest/most heartwarming?
- Are celebrity endorsements are required for a viral effort like this to be successful? Why or why not?
- I’ve mainly seen Americans doing the ALS #IceBucketChallenge. What are the obstacles to spread outside the US?
- How do other companies/charities capitalize on similar social media sensations without looking like a copycat?
- If you were the @alsassociation marketing team – what’s next? How do you keep the money rolling in?
For more info on the ALS #IceBucketChallenge or to donate to ALS go to: http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html
So, donate, get a bucket of ice water dumped on your head, do both or neither, but join us on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 1PM ET on #SMChat to talk about Social Media and the Ice Bucket Challenge – you have less than 24 hours!