Most social networks are built without a design. We follow, we like, we get followed, and *POUF* we’re connected to lots and lots of people, some friends and quite a few strangers.
Now what? What value can be gained?
That of course is the main unsolved riddle of social media for most people. The initial buzz and thrill wears off and we’re left wondering what we’ve gotten ourselves into. No worries. You’re not alone. And yes, there’s plenty of gold in those hills to be mined.
Most reasonably sized social networks can still be shaped and enhanced mid-flight, after they’ve been started. The key is to understand the value you’re seeking to gain, so that your network design can be ideal. But it also requires some reflection and focus.
Here are some fundamentals as input to your thoughtful, purposeful social network design. Let’s discuss:
- Q1. Value. DIY, but think: powerful insights a few clicks away.
- Q2. Platform. Which #socialmedia ecosystem is best for you?
- Q3. Traffic. Volume vs. Value, a question of scale.
- Q4. Resilience. Multiple Paths, understanding diversity in networks.
- Q5. Noise. Priorities and Filters at key access points.
Each 1st WEDS of the month, #smchat talks social media and technology trends. Please join us. And as we look to the community to enhance our format/timing/topics, don’t forget to take our Futures Survey linked in the sidebar, or available here.
Thanks as always for being a part. Your voice and energy are what makes it happen. See you online.
Chris aka @sourcepov